Okay, so I made this dish before leaving on vacation to the Salmon Capital. We waited so long for Wild Salmon season and when I saw that beautiful bright red flesh of the salmon I had to get it, no more waiting! All winter I would look into the fish case longing to see that beautiful red colour, and all I would see was that pale pinky/orangey farm raised salmon which is good...but why settle for good when great is right by its side, not to mention that great is on sale! Woo Hoo!
I knew if I brought home the salmon Billy ( this being one of his favourite foods in the world) would think I was a rock star, and I “just wanna be a big rock star”! I've had the chorus for this song in my head for days, ( I only know the chorus) so I just had to say that. I don't really like the words, but I do love Chad Kroeger's voice. I'm really a conservative rocker chick. If you know the chorus sing/hum along with me, though I caution you that it may also be stuck in your head.
So I got the fennel and the potatoes into the oven first, though I put the recipe at the end.
Here's what you need. If you've never had fennel, it has a mild licorice flavor, not over powering. Billy doesn't like licorice, but he likes fennel. It can be eaten raw or cooked. When it's cooked the flavor is even more mild.
Cut the core our of the fennel.
Dice the fennel.
Put the fennel, potatoes ( my store had these pretty rainbow bags of potatoes), thyme olive oil, salt and pepper into a baking dish. Roast on 400, for about 40 minutes.
Now make the Lemony Feta sauce. I was just going to make a lemon yogurt sauce, but I wanted to achieve Rock Star status, the sauce needed to be amped up! I added feta and olive oil (not pictured). Now the sauce was singing to me.
I have a mini food processor that I love! If you don't have one just chop everything as fine as you can, and mash the ingredients with a fork.
Look how pretty the salmon is! ... I mean look how rockin' the salmon is!
Put oiled and seasoned salmon skin side down in a hot skillet (medium high heat).
You can see by looking at the side of the salmon it's ready to turn. This is perfect if you like your fish done to medium.
Also made a salad of grape tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, olives, olive oil, a little of the fronds from the fennel, salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the potatoes the cooked with a little of the fennel fronds. Do Rock Stars sprinkle?
Top the salmon with the Lemony Feta sauce.
So I don't know that I'm a Rock Star 'cause I like to be in my jammies by 9 o'clock, but this dish definitely rocks!
2 lbs Salmon filleted, cut into 4 portions, skin on or off it's up to you. Wild salmon is best
Salt and pepper
For the Lemony Feta Sauce
3 Scallions, chopped
1 cup Flat leaf parsley leaves
1/2 Lemon, juice only
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 oz Feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients for the Feta and Lemon sauce into a food processor and blitz until smooth.*If you don't have a food processor, chop the scallions and parsley very fine. Crumble the feta as small as you can. Mash and stir the mixture with a fork to get it as smooth as possible.
- Drizzle both sides of the salmon with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high.
- Put the salmon in the hot skillet ( if the skin is still on then skin side down). Cook about 3 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
- Top with the Lemony Feta Sauce.
- Serve with roasted fennel and potatoes, and a tomato and cucumber salad.
ROASTED FENNEL AND POTATOES
2 lbs Potatoes, like Fingerling, Yukon Gold, Red Bliss, quartered or halved depending on the size
2 Fennel bulbs, large dice, reserve some of the fronds
3 Tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp Thyme, fresh
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a roasting pan, or baking dish.
- Roast about 40 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Top with a few of the fennel fronds.