Brussel sprouts are one of those veggies that ya either love, or despise; there’s not a lot of middle ground. My baby brother, who hates most everything, loves brussel sprouts; and my husband who likes most everything, hates them!
I’m in the brussel sprouts lovers camp and because of the brussel sprouts divide in my home I mostly only eat them if I pick up a small container at the prepared foods counter.
Now if you’ve only had boiled brussel sprouts, I can understand why you may not like them, they’re a little blandsville.
When I make brussel sprouts I prefer to roast them. If you’ve been reading my blog for any amount of time you know that my favorite method of cooking vegetables is roasting. Roasting just intensifies that brussel sprout flavor, and gets them all nice and caramelized, and yummy!
Because the roasting of the brussel sprouts does impart so much flavor I keep the recipe super simple, just some shallots which get sweet as they roast, fresh thyme, walnuts, a drizzle of walnut oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
The beauty of this recipe is that Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Walnuts can be served hot from the oven; or at room temperature, which saves valuable cooking space for holiday cooking. When I eat these hot I like them just the way I stated above, but if I eat them a room temperature I like them with just a teeny bit of balsamic glaze; either way I might serve the balsamic glaze on the side and let my guests decide for themselves.
Just beware that when you make Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Walnuts, there will be a lot of “oohing” and “aahing” going on from the brussel sprouts lovers camp, and the haters camp will think that think the lovers have lost their minds…and they will lose their minds over these, they’re that good!
Here’s what you do.
Brussel Sprouts; cleaned and trimmed!
Cut any large brussel sprouts in half.
|Add the shallot, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and a good amount of olive oil.|
|Toss them with the tools that the Good Lord gave ya.|
Lay the brussel sprouts in a single layer, but closely touching. This will keep the brussel sprouts from getting too dark before they're cooked in the center.
Roast for 20 minutes.
|After 20 minutes give the brussel sprouts a stir, and them snuggle them up next to each other and sprinkle the walnuts over the top; roast for another 5 minutes.|
Give the brussel sprouts a taste you may like them the way they are, or you may want to drizzle a little balsamic glaze over the top (a little goes a long ways); or maybe serve the glaze on the side.
When I tasted my brussel sprouts hot I preferred them without the balsamic glaze, but when I ate them at room temperature, I preferred them with the glaze.
|Remove to a serving bowl, if you like add a little Parmesan cheese, and prepare to lose yourself in the yumminess!|
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS & WALNUTS
1 ½ lbs. Brussel sprouts
1 Large shallot, thinly sliced
12 sprigs Fresh thyme or ¾ tsp. dried
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper
3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
½ cup Walnut halves
2 Tbsp. Walnut oil (or 2 more Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil)
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
2 tsp. Balsamic glaze (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim the ends and remove the outer leaves of the brussel sprouts; cut any large brussel sprouts in half.
3. Put the brussel sprouts into the center of a sheet pan along with the sliced shallot and thyme. Sprinkle salt, pepper and 3 Tbsp. of olive oil over the top; give it a toss to coat. Rearrange the brussel sprouts in a single layer, but closely touching. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven, stir the brussel sprouts, and sprinkle the walnuts on the top. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes of roasting. The brussel sprouts are done when a paring knife is easily inserted into the center.
5. Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle the walnut oil over the top, give it a toss and transfer to a serving bowl. (If there are little ones you may want to pick out any thyme sprigs)
6. Drizzle a little balsamic glaze over the top, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (optional).
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Walnuts can be served hot from the oven, or at room temperature.
You may also like:
|Green Bean and Mushroom casserole|
|Maple Roasted Acorn Squash|