If necessary trim the lattice pieces to fit the top of the pie. Fold the excess ½ inch of dough over and crimp the edge.
2 Refrigerated pie crusts, the rounds that are ready to put into your own dish
2 lbs Tomatoes, sliced
½ cup + 2 Tbsp Scallions, or green onion, finely sliced
4 oz Cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 cups Aged cheddar cheese, grated
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Basil, chiffonade (chiffonade means to cut into small ribbons)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place 1 of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie dish, if it does not hang over the edge of the dish by about ½ inch you will need to roll the dough out a little.
3. Place the second of the pie crusts over the top of the dish just to get the size, it should be just a tad bigger than the outside lip of the top of the dish, if not you will need to roll that dough out. Cut the dough into 1 ¼ inch strips. Place the strips on to a plate. *If you do not wish to make the lattice top then skip this step.
4. Put both the bottom pie shell and the strips of pie dough into the refrigerator, for about 20 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, ½ cup of the cheddar cheese, 2 Tbsp of scallions, and 1 egg yolk only (save the whites). Set to the side.
6. Mix the 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese and the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Set to the side.
7. Put the cream cheese mixture into the bottom pie shell. Spread the mixture in an even layer over the bottom, and slightly up the sides.
8. Put half of the sliced tomatoes in nice even layers, over that mixture.
9. Over the tomatoes, sprinkle half of the salt, pepper, scallions, and basil.
10. Put half of the cheddar and mayo mixture over the tomatoes in small dollops.
11. Layer the other half of the tomatoes over that, and repeat with the remaining seasonings and the cheese mixture.
12. You will use 6 strips of strips of dough to make the lattice top ( it's like weaving a basket ). Use the 2 longest strips for the center pieces. Place 1 of the longest strips of the pie dough in the center, then place two strips evenly on either side of that, leaving about 1 inch in between; be sure to dust off any extra flour if necessary. Only these 3 strips of pie dough will be moved in the next steps.
13. Turn the pie so that the dough strips are vertical to you. Pull the center strip of dough half way back toward you, and place another strip of dough over the other two strips of dough, place the center strip back over.
14. Now pull the left and right strips of dough up towards the top of the pie, over the strip you just layed, place another longer strip in the center, on top of the other center strip to make a cross in the middle of the pie, put the two strips back over.